Paul T. Lauby, Th. D, dean from 1961-1965



Dr. Paul T. Lauby served as dean of the S.U. Divinity School from 1961-1965, and was a member of the faculty before then. He was Silliman's vice president for academic affairs in the late 60s, and then general secretary of the United Board of Christian Higher Education in Asia  from 1970 to 1989.  



He was the minister who married my parents, and in March or April 1979, he and his wife Edna hosted us at their home in Montclair, New Jersey. My memories of that visit are of course a child's -- a quiet feeling of joy and contentment as we walked through the spring woods, sleeping under the sloping eaves of a house more than a hundred years old, a wardrobe filled with intriguing, fur-collared coats from decades past, a beagle called Nugget. They were extremely nice people, I remember that. A happy weekend, and for many years after that those short moments on that walk in which I wandered off alone, (yet always keeping the adults in sight) over the wet leaves, peering at the pale growth pushing its way forth, lingered at the back of my mind. It was a memory that helped see me through the torments of a Dumaguete City adolescence.  

I decided against using the Divinity School's reference photo, opting instead for one that my father supplied, which appears to have been taken a few years earlier, in the early to mid 1960s, judging from the browline eyeglasses. As with the Higdon study, I used several carre crayons, which make for a rougher appearance (as opposed to the Channon study, which was done with pastel pencils). 

***

Some of Dr. Lauby's works are listed here. If you happen to have articles written by him, or about him, please get in touch.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Rev. Irving Channon, SU Divinity School dean from 1921-1931

Preliminary drawings - my tools