James F. McKinley, dean from 1931-1959

 



As he was the longest serving dean, many photographs of McKinley exist; several of them have found their way online. The reference for this study was taken in 1931, at the beginning of his tenure. It shows an earnest and somewhat self-conscious young man, in a white summer suit and the detachable shirt collar that at the time was still quite common for professional dress. Of the three references I have (one taken a couple of years later, sporting a mustache, a mortarboard and a benevolent smile, and a serious if not morose official photo probably taken in the 50s) it is this that I will paint the final portrait from. It is so relatable, so accessible. And of the 5 or 6 studies of the deans I have made so far, this is my favorite.  

I used a Caran d'ache pastel pencil (sanguine) for the mid-tones of the face, and two shades of Cretacolor sepia for the shadows. This study is different from the previous ones in the sparing use I made of white : just at the tip of the nose and gently over the bridge; above the upper lip, at the highlights in the hair, chin and throat, as well as the edges of the shirt and suit color. Just enough to suggest the points of reflected light.  The lighter areas of the face are actually just the paper showing through. Plenty of delicate strokes and blending on this one. But while the drawing enabled me to learn this charming young man's features, it hasn't quite prepared me for the task of rendering him in oils, with a brush, in a looser and more painterly style. We'll see how the oil studies turn out later.  


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Rev. Irving Channon, SU Divinity School dean from 1921-1931

Paul T. Lauby, Th. D, dean from 1961-1965

Preliminary drawings - my tools